Just the other day, when I was surfing through Facebook, I chanced to come across a group which listed all the things which one would remember if they had grown up during the 90's. Now, though the idea was pretty interesting, most of the things mentioned in thr group didnt suit Indian sensibilities. Coz most of us probably didn't grow up making fantasies/plans about our special prom night when we could barely crawl.
So, I decided to compile a list of all the things an average teenager/ twenty something indivdual can relate to. Though not all the things are mine (some of them are borrowed from the internet, but then, that's only because we all can remember the same things about the 90's).
So, here's my version:
YOU WERE AN INDIAN KID WHO GREW UP IN THE 90'S IF:
- You know who Mogli from the Junglebook is coz you grew up singing the title track along with, while watching the show on Doordarshan.
- You wrote an actual letter (or a letter in your head), which although never materialised to MTV's Most Wanted. yes, shehnaz seemed to be the best, cutest Vj of all times then.
- You religiously turned on the TV on Sundays at noon to watch the Bournvita Quiz contest with Derek O'Brien. Yes, religiously. Its quite shocking to know that of all the people I know today, admit having fond memories with this show in their childhood.
- "Made in India" by Alisha Chinai was one of your favourite songs and you secretly wished that one day, a bare bodied Milind Soman would sweep you off your feet.
- Your first email address was the lamest one you ever had. Eg. email@example.com
- You can still recount all the characters from Hum Paanch (the only somewhat ok show ever produced by crass queen, Ekta Kapoor)
- You thought that having a birthday party at the newly opened Wimpy's or Pizza Corner would make you the most popular girl/boy in your school group.
- You could sing along the Vicco turmeric ad.
- You got ready in the morning for school while watching "Gi Joe" and the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" on Star plus.
- You hoped to collect the entire collection of then-overpriced Barbie dolls someday.
- Your wardrobe was almost completely made up of clothes from Weekender kids
- Tinkle and Champak along with Chahcha Chaudhary and Pinky were the first comic strips/magazines you ever read.
- You though Nick Carter from Backstreet Boys was the cutest guy alive on earth (As 10-12 year olds, HOT wasnt yet a part of our vocabulary)
- You managed to cover the entire one wall of your room with posters of Leonardo di Capario.
- Speaking of which, your mom made you shut your eyes during the infamous "car" scene. Or worse still, they refused to take you to the theatre to watch this enormous hit flick deeming it inappropriate for your age.
- You wished you had your very own robot sister, like "vicky" from Small Wonder
- You traded your tazos for coloured Add gel pens.
- You would have given your left eye for a game like Jumanji.
- Dancing to "Saturday Night" and "Macarena" was given at any party. And singing along "Going to Ibiza" from Vengaboys made you the coolest among the lot.
- You still remember that "Lays" was originally called "Ruffles".
- You were hooked onto Cartoon Network and had to be surgically removed from in front of the TV.
- You grew up to be a pretty awesome dude or chick.
P.S - if you guys have more points to add, go ahead. M quite sure I have missed quite a few.